Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Authors bleed

I was recently asked if I'd had rejections for my novels...and how did I handle them. This quote by Sports writer "Red Smith" says it - “There's nothing to writing.  All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein.” 
My gosh yes, I’ve had my fair share of rejections (I shamelessly admit!). It’s part of the process. Sometimes they hurt, sometimes I feel misunderstood…but I always know I am being given feedback that is important to look at to help my writing craft. I’ve developed a thick skin. It’s necessary in this business. That doesn’t mean rejections don’t affect me. But this is such a highly subjective industry, and knowing that helps. When I found my niche, my readers, my publishers – those people who love and appreciate my work – well, then that just fills my heart with happiness and makes all the tears and upset worthwhile.
So, let it be known that authors do indeed bleed!

No comments: