Friday, July 15, 2011

If you create the space the muse will come

I don’t write every day. I write most days. And I have written eight or more hours a day for days in a row when inspiration comes strongly. That creative inspiration can be all consuming...and I love that feeling, that passion, that juiciness!

I find this quote from Joseph Campbell crucial to the days I write:

“You must have a room, or a certain hour or so a day, where you don't know what was in the newspapers that morning, you don't know who your friends are, you don't know what you owe
anybody, you don't know what anybody owes to you. This is a place where you can simply experience and bring forth what you are and what you might be. This is the place of creative
incubation. At first you may find that nothing happens there. But if you have a sacred place and use it, something eventually will happen.”

And this gem  from Jan Phillips always inspires me:
I believe from her book entitled, "Marry Your Muse" c 2002
 
 The Artist's Creed
I believe I am worth the time it takes to create
    whatever I feel called to create.

I believe that my work is worthy of its own space,
    which is worthy of the name Sacred.

I believe that, when I enter this space,
 I have the right to work in silence, uninterrupted,
    for as long as I choose.

I believe that the moment I open myself to the gifts of the Muse,
       I open myself to the Source of All creation
   and become One With the Mother of Life Itself.

I believe that my work is joyful, useful and constantly changing,
 flowing through me like a river with no beginning and no end.

I believe that what it is I am called to do will make itself known
    when I have made myself ready.

I believe that the time I spend creating my art is as precious
    as the time I spend giving to others.

I believe that what truly matters in the making of art
 is not what the final piece looks like or sounds like,
    not what it is worth or not worth,
but what newness gets added to the universe
in the process of the piece itself becoming.

I believe that I am not alone in my attempts to create,
and that once I begin the work, settle into the strangeness,
the words will take shape, the form find life, and the spirit take flight.

I believe as the Muse gives to me, so does she deserve from me:
    faith, mindfulness and enduring commitment.

No comments: